Over the last 10 years, disasters have cost companies billions of dollars in lost revenue, caused thousands of unexpected layoffs, and even forced many local businesses into bankruptcy. In the non-profit arena, organizations that faced disasters unprepared have gone out of businesses, leaving their clients without vital services.
The New York City Office of Emergency Management (OEM) helps all types of organizations across the five boroughs prepare for emergencies.
This September, during National Preparedness Month, OEM invites your organizations to join the Partners in Preparedness program. This program presents an excellent opportunity to highlight your organization's commitment to the safety and well-being of your employees and their families. Join OEM and organizations across New York City as we seek to make our city the most prepared in the world.
Become a 2011 Partner in Preparedness by leading your organization through five of the activities listed below. As a partner you will be eligible to display a Partners in Preparedness seal at your business and online to show your commitment to emergency preparedness. OEM will also recognize you on our website and through other means.
Required Activities: (Must do all three)
* Stay Connected: Encourage your co-workers and volunteers to register for Notify NYC, the City's free real-time emergency notification system.
* Distribute and test an emergency contact plan for your organization.
* Distribute OEM's weekly preparedness messages throughout your organization via Outlook, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Suggested Options: (Pick at least two)
* Host a preparedness display, including a sample Go Bag, Ready New York guides, and NYC Citizen Corps Council volunteer guide.
* Schedule a Ready New York presentation.
* Schedule/conduct a fire drill.
* Distribute Ready New York guides and Emergency Reference Cards to your staff.
* Schedule a work-from-home day or other method to test your business continuity practices.
* Mentor a smaller business or organization, or be mentored.
* Schedule a blood drive or CPR training for your organization.
* Encourage your employees to sign up for OEM's Tip of the Week or distribute Tip of the Week e-mails through your organization's intranet or newsletter.
* Create and implement your own preparedness activity. OEM will recognize the most creative initiatives.
OEM will officially begin recognizing Partners in Preparedness in September. Through the summer we will provide more information about the activities listed above. Register as a potential partner today.
Please feel free to forward this to other organizations that may want to join us in preparing our great city.
See you in September!
New York City Office of Emergency Management